Roasted clams or Clams casino as it is popularly known, has a long history that can be traced back to the early 20th century. According to legend, the recipe was first developed in 1917 by a maître d’hôtel at a hotel in Narragansett, Rhode Island. The dish was created as a special request by a wealthy woman to impress her guests. The origin of Clams casino is said to be linked to Central Park Casino, where “soft clams a la Casino” were offered as early as 1900. The dish became popular across the United States, including New Orleans, where oysters were substituted for clams.
Our Smoked-Roasted Stuffed Clams recipe is inspired by the traditional Clams Casino dish, but it takes a different turn. While traditional Clams Casino recipe involves broiling the clams and then topping them with a combination of breadcrumbs, bacon and seasonings, we are going for smoke-roasted clams and a different set of ingredients. El Yucateco Green Habanero Sauce adds heat and flavor, sharp cheddar and parmesan cheese add creaminess and a nice cheesy pull, and parsley adds freshness. Also, unlike the traditional recipe, ours does not include bacon, but trust us when we say it didn’t need it.
- 2 tbsp - Live clams, washed
- 3 tbsp - Butter
- 1 Large onion, chopped
- 1 Garlic clove, chopped
- ½ cup - White wine
- 1 tbsp - El Yucateco Green Habanero Sauce
- ½ cup - Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup - Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup - Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tbsp - Chopped parsley
- Preheat your smoker to 300 F.
- In a large saucepan, soften the onion and garlic in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add white wine and bring to a boil. Add clams, cover and simmer until all clams are open, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the clams from the broth and let cool.
- Bring the remaining cooking broth to a boil and reduce until about ¼ cup of liquid remains. Remove from heat, add Green Habanero hot sauce, breadcrumbs, cheeses and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove clams from their shells, saving half of the shells for serving.
- Coarsely chop the clams and add them to the cheese mixture.
- Divide the stuffing evenly into the shells and place them on a baking sheet.
- Smoke the stuffed clams for about 20 minutes until cheese is melted and clams are warm and smoky. Drizzle with Green Habanero hot sauce to taste and serve.